The Clogher Valley has been inhabited since ancient times and abounds with standing stones and chambered graves. Rich farmlands rise to the high rolling moors on the north and south.
The name Corick or Corag which means a confluence of streams was part of the lands granted to the Protestant Bishop of Clogher at the time of the ‘Plantation of Ulster’ (1610). The town-land which extends to almost two hundred and twenty acres stands where the Fury River, rising at the Monaghan Border joins the Tyrone Blackwater.
About 1697 Bishop St George Ashe settled John Story from Hexham in Northumberland on the property. John Story sold his estate at Bingfield Hall and then came to Ireland apparently as the Bishop’s Agent.
This John Story (1648 – 1725) and his son Thomas Story (1678 – 1768) eventually acquired an estate of over three thousand acres under the See of Clogher in addition to their fine demesne at Corick where they built their first mansion house.
The Story/Storey family and their descendants were connected with Corick for about three hundred years providing mainly Bishop’s Agents, Clergymen and Farmers.
The parents of the novelist William Carleton were tenants at Nurchossy (early 19th Century) of John Benjamin Story (1764 – 1844). Carleton mentions him in ‘Traits and Stories’ where he is described as one of the tallest and handsomest of the local squires!
The mansion sits on an elevated site above the River Blackweater and is approached from the north by a straight avenue laid down in the 1690’s lined with mature beech trees and were considered ‘very fine’. It is bordered to the south by the River and contains mature trees in a set undulating round including a planted rath. The area around the house is enhanced by a maintained ornamental garden. The walled garden is planted with seasonal plants and shrubs. The original 3 gate lodges predated to the 1850’s but no longer exist.
In 1863 on the instructions of William Story the house was enlarged and altered to the design of the Belfast firm of Sir Charles Lanyon. A new garden front with large canted bay in its center and a three storey tower with Italianate hipped slate rood were added. The original dining room remained unaltered.
Near Corick, in the demesne, two large ancient ring forts remain having been scheduled as an ancient monument in 1990. The last member of the Story family, a grand-daughter of Dr. John Benjamin Story, a famous eye surgeon, who became High Sheriff of Tyrone early this century recently sold the house and gardens at Corick to Mrs. Jean Beacom and the surrounding farmland to the local farmers.
The late Mrs. Jean’s Beacom’s fondest desire was to carry on the traditions of this grand Irish house into the 21st Century and her family are following in that ambition with an extensive programme of improvements keeping in line with the traditions of this elegant House by fusing traditional Irish hospitality with modern flair. Thus ensuring its successful existence for generations to come.