Perfectly located just of the main A4 Road, 8miles from the Ballygawley roundabout, on the boarder of Tyrone and Fermanagh, our location is central with the advantage of being secluded in the country.
The Clogher Valley has been inhabited since ancient times and abounds with standing stones and chambered graves. Rich farmlands rise to the high rolling moors on the north and south. The name Corick or Corag which means a confluence of streams was part of the lands granted to the Bishop of Clogher at the time of the ‘Plantation of Ulster’ (1610). The town-land which extends to almost two hundred and twenty acres stands where the Fury River, rising at the Monaghan Border joins the Tyrone Blackwater.
About 1697 Bishop St George Ashe settled John Story from Hexham in Northumberland on the property. John Story sold his estate at Bingfield Hall and then came to Ireland apparently as the Bishop’s Agent. This John Story (1648 – 1725) and his son Thomas Story (1678 – 1768) eventually acquired an estate of over three thousand acres under the See of Clogher in addition to their fine demesne at Corick where they built their first mansion house.
The Story family and their descendants were connected with Corick for about three hundred years providing mainly Bishop’s Agents, Clergymen and Farmers. The parents of the novelist William Carleton were tenants at Nurchossy (early 19th Century) of John Benjamin Story (1764 – 1844). Carelton mentions him in ‘Traits and Stories’ where he is described as one of the tallest and handsomest of the local squires.
The Story family made many improvements to Corick over the years including tree planting and establishing the walled garden (19th Century). In 1863 on the instructions of William Story the house was enlarged and altered to the design of the Belfast firm of Sir Charles Lanyon. A new garden front with a large canted bay in its centre and a three-storey tower with Italianate hipped slate roof were added. The original dining room remained unaltered.
In 1994 the house and gardens at Corick were sold to Mrs. Jean Beacom and the surrounding farmland to the local farmers. Corick House opened as a Bed & Breakfast / Guesthouse in 1996 with 9 rooms. The late Mrs. Jean Beacom’s fondest desire was to carry on the traditions of this grand Irish house into the 21st Century.
It is the late Mrs. Jean Beacom’s Daughter Avril & her Two Sons Haldene, Andrew and family who are following in that ambition with an extensive programme of improvements keeping in line with the traditions of this elegant House by fusing traditional Irish hospitality with modern flair.
20 Corick Road,